Monday, November 29, 2010

After the CSA - What's left?




 
Above you see my kitchen table filled with all the containers of what I have left from my CSA. I picked up my last box just under 2 weeks ago, but between things that I froze and things that have naturally long shelf-lives, I've got quite a bit left.


Here's the full list of what's on the table:

½ c blueberries
1.5 c rhubarb
6 bell peppers
6 Hungarian wax peppers
2 jalapenos
1 Carmen sweet pepper
2 c snap beans
2 eggs
½ gallon apple cider
just under ½ gallon apple cider vinegar
1.5 pounds sweet potatoes
1 pound white potatoes
1 butternut squash
2 delicata squash
1 niche pumpkin
3 onions (2 red, 1 white)
8 oz Boltonfeta cheese
1 bunch fresh parsley
2.5 cloves of garlic

Many of these items will need to be used soon, preferably before the end of the year. Since I’m heading home to my parents house for the last couple weeks of 2010, I’ll probably be bringing a few of these items with me. I’m thinking the squashes and the garlic will need to come along. The potatoes and the cider will be gone as will the cheese and eggs. But most of the frozen items will be good until at least February, if not longer.

All in all, the CSA was one of the best investments I’ve ever made. I’ve made tons of dishes that I never would have otherwise. I even figured out how to eat beets in a way I can enjoy them (which is nice because they are pretty and healthy).

Mostly, though, I’ve just enjoyed discovering what grows in Western Pennsylvania and the best ways to eat it. My interest in local, seasonal food is higher than it’s ever been – it’s gone from passing interest to obsession – and I intend to keep eating locally as best I can during these winters months before the CSA begins again. The farmers around here just grow stuff that’s too delicious not to gobble it up all year long.

I hope you’ll keep coming back to see what I cook next.

No comments:

Post a Comment